ONLINE: Embroidery Embellishment for Everyday Objects
Time & Location
About the Event
**This is a 2 session class: Saturday & Sunday, July 25 & 26 from 10:30am - 11:30am**
Can't leave your house but want to do something fun and creative? Learn how to add beautiful embroidery stitching to items you already own! Using your favorite shirt, tea towel, quilt or other soft surface to stitch on, instructor Kieren Dutcher will demonstrate easy embroidery stitches that anyone can learn.
In class you'll discuss tools that can be used to make sewing easier such as hoops and thimbles as well as how to transfer your designs. You'll receive a printable embroidery booklet with diagrams included and you'll leave this workshop excited to start embroidering everything in sight!
Skill level: ✂️
This class is open to all levels.
Supplies included with your class:
- Embroidery Stitches booklet (printable PDF). Please print out the booklet before class, so you can look at the diagrams and take notes in it.
Bring to class:
Need supplies? Click here to purchase a complete kit.
- Textile surface you wish to embellish
- Needles: Everyone has a different needle preference, you will need a needle with a sharp point and eye large enough for your embroidery thread to fit through
- Embroidery thread: Use whatever you have at home. We will talk about different threads in the class.
- Thimbles: Also, a very personal choice. (Not essential for your first class)
- Embroidery hoop: Use one or not, it’s up to you. Sometimes it's hard to use one with thick fabrics or awkward shaped garments.
- Sharp scissors.
- Marking tools for transferring designs, if you have them. Pencils and water soluble markers work.
About the instructor:
Kieren Dutcher is a third generation Oakland native and earned a BFA at California College of Arts and Crafts and an MA in Art Education at SFState. She worked as a graphic artist and then taught art to children for 20+ years. She currently teaches part time at NIAD Art Center, as well as workshops around the Bay Area. Her work is influenced by nature, kids’ art, folk art, and COLOR. When not teaching, she is in her studio painting or writing a series of picture books about women artists. Her work can be found in galleries and stores around the Bay Area as well as in her Etsy shop.
Class fees are transferable to another class or to studio credit if cancellation is made at least 72 hours before class. If cancellations are made after the 72 hour advance window has passed, we will not be able to issue refunds or studio credits. You can, however transfer the class to a friend.
If a student arrives 10 minutes or more after the start of class, it is at the discretion of the teacher as to whether the student will be admitted to the Zoom meeting. No refunds or studio credit will be given for late arrivals or no-shows.
Members use the coupon code IMAMEMBER at checkout to get a 15% off of the class cost. Interested in becoming a member? Find out more HERE!
- Sold OutRegistration$35$350$0